What does this mean for Busan?
Being a part of the international UNESCO Creative Cities Network means that our city can:
- ensure equal opportunity for the people of Busan to benefit from the film industry, either through greater engagement with its creation and production, or greater accessibility to film in and around the city.
- ensure that the people across Busan have equal opportunities to participate in film activities, from film festivals to interactive workshops, while guaranteeing both the business and personnel infrastructure needed to support and encourage creative, social and economic opportunities.
- further support the Busan film industry and aid development of the city’s film audiences through increasing engagement with events, festivals and screenings linking into existing tourism, cultural and leisure activities.
What makes Busan a City of Film?
Busan City of Film is overflowing with an enthused film culture. The city hosts a wide range of film festivals including the Busan International Short Film Festival and Busan International Film Festival, one of the most reputable film festivals in the world. Alongside sought after film screenings, Busan offers a wide selection of community programs, industry engagement events and workshops for the people of Busan to enjoy.
Busan City of Film is led by Busan Film Commission, the first film commission in Asia, and works to attract companies in the visual film and media industries to the city including developing new policies and initiatives. These fundamental changes offer greater support across the industry in Busan, ensuring supply of film production amenities, support for entrepreneurial activities and a stronger infrastructure.
Organisations and institutes across the city, both in and outside of Busan, have created accessible and diverse educational programs for those living in Busan. Film education is much more freely available, with film literacy courses, production courses, screenwriting courses on offer. Residents have increased opportunities to contribute to programme development as well as local initiatives exploring cultural film engagement.
Invigorating Community Programs
Busan City Film holds its vision ‘Film for All’ at the core of its community outreach and engagement. The city hosts events and programs throughout the year designed to encourage and welcome citizens of Busan citizens. With so much on offer, a wide range of communities are actively engaged in film-related activities.
Widening Film Literacy
Busan City of Film has been working to widen Film Literacy Education for Busan citizens across the city, irrespective of their age. The ongoing project looks to reach out to not only those in public education organizations but to actively engage the private sectors, an aim which is strongly supported by the Busan city government.
Strengthening International Partnership
As an established hub for Asian cinema, Busan City of Film is working to increase their existing network and extend their international relations. The team is making considerable effort to build new partnerships around the world and within the Creative Cities Network, in order to develop a range of engaging cooperative projects.
- Busan International Kids & Youth Film Festival Poster Drawing Contest Busan International Kids&Youth Film Festival calls for applications for the 2021 Poster Drawing Contest! As the only international kids' film festival… Read more
- The 4th Busan Inter-city Film Festival Busan City of Film is pleased to host the 4th edition of Busan Inter-city Film Festival with an aim to… Read more
- UNESCO Film Cities Film Education and Media Literacy Forum 2020 On Thursday 26 November 2020, UNESCO Cities of Film from around the world came together to deliver an online forum to… Read more
- Busan CG/VFX Professional Manpower Training Program Busan Film Commission opens ‘Busan CG/VFX Professional Manpower Training Program’ in order to cultivate professional human resources via practical experience… Read more